Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blueberry Peach Pie

I can't really say that this is my favorite pie recipe because I've only ever made three pies. I just don't think three pies is a big enough field from which to choose a favorite. But this pie was pretty darn good.

blueberry peach pie

For pie crust, I use the Deluxe Butter Pie Dough recipe from The Joy of Cooking because I think it is seriously delicious. I always thought I didn't like pie crust. I looked at it as something I ate only in order to get to the delicious filling of the pie. But no more! I love this stuff.

The filling is my own concoction, based on the 50 million pie recipes I read for research purposes the other day.

I made this Sunday, and it was a tad warm for pie baking, so my dough was a bit sticky and difficult to work with, but it turned out fine once baked. Also...my peaches...they sucked. They were from Jewel, which has a really awful produce section but is within walking distance. They were really, really firm and hard to work with. And peeling them took pretty much forever. I think I lost a quarter of my peaches to the floor during the peeling, pitting, slicing process. So it took a lot of peaches to reach the 3 cups of peach slices that I wanted. But they still tasted good in the pie.


Blueberry Peach Pie

pie dough (for a double crust pie)
egg white

2 cups blueberries
3 cups peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt

1 to 2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sugar in the raw

Mix the fruit, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a big bowl. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes or so, stirring occassionaly.

Roll out your bottom crust, put it in the pie pan, and brush it with egg white. Pour the fruit mixture into the crust and spread it around evenly. Roll out your top crust and cover the pie. Shape and trim things up. Cut a few vents in the top crust, brush it with some milk, and sprinkle it with the sugar in the raw.

Bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees. Then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 25 to 35 minutes.

Let cool for a couple of hours before serving.


I ate pie for dinner Sunday night. It has fruit in it, so that makes it healthy, right? But pie wasn't ready to eat until 9, so as an appetizer I ate the cinnamon-sugar pie crust (roll out the leftover pie crust trimmings, put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar, bake with the pie for the first 20-ish minutes). And some french fries. So, yeah, I guess there's no justifying that as a real meal, is there?

what to do with leftover pie crust

No comments: