Monday, November 30, 2009

The post-game wrap-up

Thanksgiving was delicious, and we had a nice time with both of the families. But running around for the holidays really wears a person out, so I was glad to come home Saturday afternoon to a comfy, cozy spot on the couch. Where I pretty much stayed for the rest of the weekend.
My spot on the couch, or a weak attempt to include a photo with this post.

But back to Thanksgiving. I made rolls, the Butter Horn Rolls from The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book. They were delicious and light and fluffy straight out of the oven. Unfortunately, I had to tote them around and reheat them, which made them a little tougher. But even with all that they were still pretty good. I'll make them again.

And I made the wild rice pilaf with cranberries and pecans from the November issue of Martha Stewart Living. (Recipe available online here.) Very easy. And I liked it. I think the others liked it, too. It is nice because you eat it at room temperature, so I didn't have to fight for cooking space close to dinner time. I used green onions instead of shallots (due to an inability to properly read instructions prior to obtaining ingredients), so I'll have to try it with shallots next time.

Also, apricot-pecan pie. My sister made one, despite some skeptics in the family. It was delicious. There was also pumpkin (of course), pecan, and apple. Mmm. One can never have too much pie. Although my pie attention was so divided that I hardly ate any pumpkin pie with the families. (Full disclosure: By "hardly ate any" I mean that I only ate two or three slices in total.) And with that in mind, I think I'll be making a pumpkin pie (my first) this weekend. Wish me luck.

Now I've got a whole bunch of Christmas-gift-related sewing and crafting lined up. Which probably means I'm going to be lacking in postable material until after the gifts have been given. Darn. I have a few non-gift projects to work on too, though, so don't leave me!

Totally unrelated: Perhaps you would like to watch the Muppets do Bohemian Rhapsody? I think you would.

No comments: