Friday, December 17, 2010

There is rice all over my sewing room floor.

This draft snake was a super easy project.

Just patchwork up some fabric scraps until you have a 37-inch by 9-inch rectangle. Then fold the rectangle in half (making it 37-inch by 4 1/2-inch) with right sides together and sew along the long side and one short side using a 1/2-inch seam allowance. I used pinking shears to trim the seam allowance a wee bit at this point for extra not-unraveling power. Turn the draft snake right-side out.

draft snake (before rice)

Next fill it with rice. Turn the unfinished end in a 1/2-inch and sew the draft snake closed (you can hand stitch this, but I had Adam help me hold the snake up so I could run the end through the sewing machine). Ta da! Draft blockage!

draft snake

Another plus: this gave me a chance to use some more of the hedgehog fabric I love but never seem to use.

draft snake (before rice)

I way overpurchased on rice, though. And I'm not a great pourer, even using a scoop and a funnel. So there is most of a 20-pound bag of rice leftover, and I need to vacuum.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love it! I've been thinking of making one for a while now; this just may be the push I need. :)

annette said...

The hedgies and tiny clovers are very sweet. Best wishes a lovely holiday week - a.

Sarah said...

Thank you both!