Wednesday, July 17, 2013

KCW Days 1 and 2: Adelaide's summer hat

Adelaide's summer hat

I actually started this hat for Adelaide a couple of months ago, but then I got busy and abandoned it until Kids Clothes Week reminded me that I should probably finish it up before a) summer is over and she no longer really needs it and b) her head gets too big for her to wear it.

Adelaide's summer hat

Adelaide's summer hat

It's the bucket hat from Oliver + S: Little Things to Sew. It was a fairly easy piece to make, and the pattern and instructions were very simple and clear.

Adelaide's summer hat

The bird fabric (from the Park Slope line by Erin McMorris) has been in my stash for ages, just waiting for an appropriate project. The other fabric is just some quilting cotton from JoAnn Fabrics that I've had sitting around forever.

Adelaide's summer hat

The sewing went really well with this project. It was very pleasant. Always a plus. I think the only thing I did differently from the directions was with the interfacing: I used some crazy-stiff fusible interfacing I happened to have sitting around. It made the brim a bit more structured than it is supposed to be, but I think it still looks and works fine. And it meant I didn't have to make a special interfacing-buying trip to the fabric store, so I definitely am sticking by that decision.

Adelaide's summer hat


KCWC

3 comments:

C.E.R. said...

Love love love the hat (that fabric is awesome), but those eyes in the last pic really kill me.

Shannon said...

The hat looks great. I agree, that fabric is awesome. :) I have this book, but haven't made anything out of it yet... I think I may need to make my little one a hat now. :)

Sarah said...

C.E.R.- Thank you! I've been hanging on to the fabric forever just waiting for the right project to come alone. And I'm partial to that last pic myself. :)

Shannon- I've had the book for quite a while, but this is the first thing I've made. Everything in it is so cute, but I just never seem to find the time!