Monday, March 23, 2009

Victory! (Well, mostly.)

I finished my first shirt! (It's the button-up shirt pattern from Wendy Mullin's Sew U.) It was not without issues, but it turned out okay. It's wearable, at least. And it pretty much fits.

gingham shirt (front)

It took me forever to finish. Shirts are so much more detailed and finicky than skirts! Surprising successes: darts, sewing the sleeves to the shoulders, buttonholes. Unsurprising less-than-successes: collar, sleeve plackets.

I was actually most afraid of sewing the sleeves into the shoulders. It seemed terrifying for some reason, but it ended up being easy as pie. And I have not sewn many buttonholes and always seem to have problems, but only one of ten turned out wonky this time, so I'm considering that a success.

The collar, well, I just created a few issues on my own with that. I did not do a very good job of watching my straight line, so I had to redo a seam. But the sleeve plackets--oh my. I just could not make myself quite understand the book's instructions. As a result, the plackets/cuffs have some issues--they're all twisty-turny. Oh well, there's always next time!

gingham shirt (detail)

1 comment:

belle said...

very nice , you should be proud!! love the gingham