Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spaghetti All'Ubriaco

I have been seriously considering making this recipe since I saw it on Serious Eats a couple months ago.

Arguments for: it looks amazing, I have never heard of it, it doesn't seem too complicated, it translates as "drunken spaghetti," and it looks amazing. Yeah, that one counts twice.

Arguments against: uh, just one...if it sucks then I will have wasted a bottle of wine. Uncool.

I think any recipe that has me thinking about it for two months straight is probably worth a go.

Spaghetti All'Ubriaco

What I did differently: I made a half recipe, but didn't exactly halve everything. For the cooking liquid I used 3 cups water and 2 cups red wine. I used 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti. I used 2 large cloves garlic because I really like garlic. I used 1.5 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup olive oil. I used 1/3 cup wine for the in-the-pan simmering. And I left out the parsley entirely (none on hand, am generally bored by the idea of parsley) and replaced it with 4 or 5 decent-sized leaves of basil, roughly chopped (had fresh basil on hand, am in love with fresh basil). Otherwise, I followed the cooking instructions as written. I seasoned the finished product rather generously with salt and pepper, and I topped each plate with Parmigiano-Reggiano and a whole basil leaf.

Results: It turns purple. That is so cool. I thought it was pretty good. It was definitely unusual. I found the taste to be kind of addictive--the kind of thing where the first bite is just okay but by the time you finish your plate you're like "Yeah, I could go for some more of this. RIGHT NOW." Adam, on the other hand, did not like it at all. He didn't even finish it. That is how much he didn't like it. Although he did claim to be glad we had tried it.

Verdict: I would definitely eat it again. But I'll be saving it for the occasional night to myself, added to the schedule after the cheap veggie sushi from Whole Foods and before the so-bad-it's-good movie from Netflix and the fancy chocolate bar.

No comments: