Friday, September 18, 2009

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Man, I am tired. And lazy. I did not sew the buttons and buttonholes for the dress this week.

I did bake, though. So that's something, right?

oatmeal fudge bars
These are the Oatmeal Fudge Bars from The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book. The only change I made was to leave the instant coffee out of the recipe because we didn't have any. They get two thumbs up here in the Dilettante household. Although we agree that next time I should reserve a little more of the crust for the topping and let the bottom crust be a little thinner.

They're crumbly and gooey all at once, and full of brown-sugary deliciousness. Oh, brown sugar, how I love you.

Which reminds me that I want to try making my own brown sugar. I read about that somewhere a few months ago, but I keep forgetting to actually give it a whirl. It doesn't look too complicated, it just sounds completely awesome. Oh, this brown sugar here? No big deal, I just made it myself. Yeah, I'm awesome. So let this serve to remind me: Sarah, make some brown sugar already.

No comments: