This is my very poorly executed attempt at the sandwich wrap from Betz White's Sewing Green.
Problem 1: In the book, she uses PUL. I used cotton duck cloth, because I had it on hand and I am, generally speaking, not into the whole plastic-coated-cloth thing. But because she used PUL, she didn't have to worry about unraveling edges and only turned the hem once before giving it a straight stitch. I mish-mashed a couple of variations together to see what worked best (or at all). For the main wrap piece, I turned the hem twice and straight stitched. For the side panels, I turned the hem once and zig-zag stitched. You can see that pretty well in the photo below because I used bright, contrasting thread. I thought the blue thread would help cute up the plain gray fabric. Which I still think it would have, had it not been for Problem 2.
Problem 2: I was lazy with my sewing. My lines are not straight. When I messed up a seam, I didn't rip it out and try again. No, I just backstitched and restitched right over it. And my sewing on of the velcro was beyond sloppy. Not pretty.
Problem 3: Size. This is the only problem that isn't a total function of my dysfunction. I think this wrap is just a bit too wide. It doesn't really hold the sandwich tight. Well, it didn't seem to really hold the sandwich I made this morning as tight as I think I'd like.
Despite its flaws, which are many, I sent it to work with Adam today. Lucky boy.
He said it held the sandwich together fine, it didn't leak mustard or anything, and he'd be willing to use it again. The only issue, which he didn't think was a big deal at all, was that the bread gets a wee bit drier since there isn't that plastic lining.
Verdict: It Works! Whew. Now I'll have to try to make one with some attention to detail so it isn't such a mess!