Monday, January 25, 2010

Not so healthy, but entirely necessary.

Yesterday was one of those days. Boring errand running. Loads and loads of laundry. And a sewing project that just was not working for me at all.

So I gave up--but not without throwing a bit of a fit about it first, of course--and decided that I needed to bake some cookies. Because cookies are always good.

I ate them for dinner. Well, them and some noodles covered in butter and salt, but that's hardly better, is it?

snickerdoodles (dough)

These are the snickerdoodles from Martha Stewart's Cookies (I didn't take any after-baking photos, just these dough-ball photos, so use your imagination). Two things about this recipe: It doesn't use cream of tarter, which takes away the crinkly top and a bit of the characteristic tang (thank you America's Test Kitchen). It also calls for coarse salt, which resulted in some bites being saltier than others. Next time I will use regular-sized salt. Otherwise these were good. They were yummy and soft and easy to make, as a snickerdoodle should be. Furthermore, the dough is delicious, and I am a sucker for delicious dough.

Also: Silicone baking mats are awesome. Really and truly. My sister-in-law and her family gave me these for Christmas and I am smitten. No parchment paper! Things don't stick! Magic! With some of my other silicone bakeware, I've been disappointed by the heat transfer, leaving crusts and bottoms and such not brown enough. No such problems with these so far though. Maybe it's the fiberglass layer? I don't know.

No comments: