Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finally, some more sewing for the baby

We're going to try cloth diapering with the kid, so to go with that whole thing I made some reusable baby wipes this weekend. Easy, easy, easy. And pretty cheap.

cloth baby wipes

These are terrycloth on one side, flannel on the other, zig-zag stitched together on three sides. The fourth side is open so I can stick my hand in like a mitt. (The fourth edge of each individual fabric square either is the selvedge or is zig-zag stitched to avoid unraveling issues.)

cloth baby wipes

I was going for 8-inch squares, but my measuring and cutting were pretty slapdash and wonky (everything was a bit crooked and I ended up with some mysterious 7.75-by-9-inch pieces). I fixed that up somewhat with the zig-zagging and the trimming after, but not all of it. And it doesn't matter! Because these are going to be used to wipe baby bottoms! Perfection is not necessary!

cloth baby wipes

With about three months until expected baby time, I am feeling way behind on my sewing plans. The whole being tired a lot coupled with extra clumsiness (on top of my usual clumsiness - yikes!) and a crazy foggy brain is just not helping with that to-do list! But paint colors have been narrowed down! And we bought a carseat! Hooray! And I am going to do more sewing! (How many exclamation points can I use in one paragraph? Oh well, I'm excitable. Baby stuff!)

1 comment:

annette said...

Homemade wipes are a very nice thing to have - I love how you used flannel and terry cloth together in the same wipe - a great idea!
We went with cloth diapers, which we ended up loving (it dramatically sped up the transfer to using the toilet - there's nothing like a wet diaper to change a young persons mind about wearing them).