Sunday, April 29, 2012

KCWC: New T-shirt. From old T-shirt.


More Kids Clothes Week Challenge action! (My previous KCWC action is here.) I managed some pattern-making Wednesday and some cutting Thursday, but Friday it just did not happen. Friday I needed pizza and the couch. But Saturday there was sewing.

Adelaide needs more shirts, and I have heaps of old clothes just waiting to be cut to pieces and made into wee little things for her, so I decided to repurpose some old T-shirts of mine into new T-shirts for her.

new t-shirt!

I found this tutorial on making a raglan-sleeve tee and decided to give it a whirl. I followed the tutorial for the making of the pattern, but not really for the construction. For the construction I just sort of did my own thing. For the ribbing, I found this post to be extremely helpful, though I ended up using the single fold method (the first one listed/explained) that the author doesn't like. And I finally bought a "stretch" needle. I'd been using the "jersey ball point" needle, but I was getting too many slipped stitches. The stretch needle did help, so that was worth the otherwise-failed trip to JoAnn's (looking for decent colors of wool felt at a brick-and-mortar store nearby is not going well).

new t-shirt

I only managed to finish one, but I didn't put a lot of time in each day, just a little. The green is from one of my old shirts. I kept the bottom hem and one side seam from the original. The brown for the sleeves and the ribbing are both left over from Adelaide's Halloween costume. I'm pretty happy with it, even though the armpits are a bit wonky and I stretched the neck out a little when I sewed on the ribbing.

new t-shirt!

Non-blurry baby photos are majorly hard to get these days. Kiddo is always on the move.

No comments: