I couldn't find a shirt with big red and gray stripes, so I turned to some freezer paper stenciling. It went pretty well. I painted the front and the sleeves with red stripes, but I left the back plain.
The "BRUTUS" on the front is done with iron-on letters from JoAnn's. They didn't really want to stick (I assume the fabric paint is mostly to blame for this), but they didn't peel off completely. I'm calling that a success.
The most challenging thing was, as you might imagine, figuring out how to do Brutus's big nut head and little cap. I considered making a big, stuffed nut head, which would let us get away with using a regular Ohio State cap. But in the end, I made a snug brown hat (using Sew Liberated's Sweet Pea Pilot Cap pattern/tutorial, which is free and awesome!) and stitched up an improvised mini-cap. I am pretty proud of the improvised mini-cap, largely because I thought of it around 9:00 p.m. the night before Halloween and managed to execute it before bedtime.
Just add some red pants and little black sock shoes (already in the closet! score!). Oh, and don't forget the little towel Brutus always has with him (I just cut a strip of leftover terry cloth from this project).
Cutest Brutus ever, if I do say so myself.