Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Navy Plantain Tee

I love sewing for myself, but I'm rarely overly pleased with the results, at least not in that I-wear-it-all-the-time way. I have no use for clothes that aren't really darn comfortable, at least not on a regular basis. And I also don't really like to have to spend time each day thinking about putting an outfit together. What I really want to be able to sew for myself are just some good, flattering basics. But, man, that's hard. At least for me.

That photographer of mine, he sure has a good sense of humor.

With that in mind, I decided it was high time I tried sewing myself a T-shirt. I had seen some really cute versions of the free Plantain Tee by Doe and Deer, so I decided to go with that. It's a scoop-neck tee with a slightly flared bottom. I used a very stretchy jersey from my stash, bought at JoAnn fabrics. I don't remember exactly what it is, but it's one of those Sew Classics types that they always have in stock.

I had fun sewing it up. It was fairly easy, once I get my machine settings right for the crazy stretchy fabric.


I'm not sure how I feel about the results though. It's just not quite right on me. For one thing, the fabric is just too slinky. It's comfy, but it's not very flattering and shows every bump and undergarment strap. I'm breastfeeding and wearing nursing tanks, I've grown two kids, that level of detail is not really going to work for me. (These pictures are the least lumpy of the bunch, and it took some doing to weed the others out.)

Photobomber Adelaide, kind of staring at my butt.



I also think the armholes may be too big. Actually, I may have wanted a smaller size altogether. I don't know. I definitely think the flared bottom is just a bit too unfitted for me and I'd be better off with something with a more defined waist.

But I don't know...It feels nice on even if I'm not happy with how it looks in the pictures. And I'm very happy with how the sewing went. I may try again with a few modifications, or even modify this one a bit to see how it goes. At any rate, it'll be fine around the house or with a cardigan over it (and I love me a cardigan).

For the record, I have no idea what I'm Vanna-White-ing it about here.
I'm in the middle of sewing another shirt for myself right now, this one a woven tunic, and I'm having some of the same issues. I'm finding it really difficult to find patterns that look comfortable and fuss-free but also flattering on me (is it the C-cup? the hips? just the nursing tanks?). Sigh. If you have any awesome pattern suggestions, please, help me!

No comments: