Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prairie skirt

In our dress-up box when we were kids, there was this old, worn-to-perfect-softness, white cotton skirt. I don't know what it was originally, but it was part of our Little House on the Prairie-style costuming. I loved it.

So I decided to make it.

knee-length prairie skirt

Of course, the dress-up version of my youth was longer, but this is pretty close. Originally, it was just going to have the trim added right to the skirt's main body, without that extra ruffle layer. But I was winging it, and I made it too short--whoops!--so I had to add that extra length.

knee-length prairie skirt

This is very loosely based on the A-line skirts I made awhile ago. But I took out the zipper (elastic waist!), made the back one piece (instead of two), lowered the waistline, and made the skirt more full.

Not too shabby, I think.

No comments: