Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tofu with Ginger and Kale

This was definitely not a relaxing, putter-about-the-house weekend for me. No sewing, no baking, nothing. And last night I didn't leave work until way too late. So again, nothing.

So here is a fairly easy and fairly nutritious dinner recipe. (I took this picture last time I made it--maybe two weeks ago?--because I knew it'd come in handy for a post at some point. Yay for thinking ahead!)

tofu with ginger and kale

Tofu with Ginger and Kale
(serves 2)

Ingredients

1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
4 tablespoons sesame oil
1 or 2 pounds of kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons grated ginger (fresh or from a jar)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame seeds**

Directions

Cut tofu into cubes, approximately 3/4-inch. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu, in a single layer, turning occasionally until golden on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer tofu to a bowl.

Add remaining oil to skillet and heat over high heat. Add garlic, kale, and ginger. Stir-fry until kale is appropriately wilty, about 4 minutes.

Add tofu, soy sauce, and sesame seeds to the pan and heat through.

Serve over rice.

*I put the tofu on a dish towel on a plate, cover it with another dish towel, put a small cookie sheet on top of that, and weight the cookie sheet evenly with a few cans of food. I let that sit for a couple of hours, usually the night before I'm going to use it. Then I put the tofu in a container in the fridge to sit until I need it.

**Sometimes I lightly toast the seeds first, but usually not. Because I am lazy.

No comments: