Monday, March 15, 2010

Disjointed and mostly outdated ramblings

Did anyone else feel a bit smacked in the face by the clock change this weekend? We had to catch a train out to the suburbs early on Sunday morning, meaning I had to wake up at 6:45. On a weekend. The torture. But it was made worse by the fact that it wasn't until I had already been in bed for a bit that I jumped to my feet with a panicky "Oh my god! Daylight Savings Time!" as I realized that we would be getting even less sleep than originally anticipated. Bummer.

I was clearing out some folders on the laptop and found a couple of photos I meant to post but had forgotten (or decided not to use, maybe? I don't remember). But I've got nothing better for today, so here they are.

birthday card

This is a birthday card I made for my brother a couple of weeks ago. I like the silver paper I used for the cupcake wrapper, but the rest of it is kind of eh. I was reminded how much I really don't like using glue sticks because I cannot help but smudge and smear glue on stuff (my fingers, the tray I was working at, the wrong sides of the paper I'm trying to use...pretty much everything within reach, really). While looking for paper and a glue stick to use for this, I found some origami paper and instructions from ages ago (I think I was in middle school). I tried to make some stuff. It did not work out, so I did not take pictures. How do people get origami to work? Magic? Better instructions? Significantly more vast amounts of patience than I possess?

chocolate shortbread with cream cheese icing

And this is how I used up half a block of cream cheese that was hanging out in my fridge. I suppose it could have been used for a variety of necessary cooking activities--making something for us to eat for dinner, for one. But I was hell-bent on cream cheese icing. So I made some chocolate shortbread (from The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, if I am remembering correctly, and I may not be), which was merely okay on its own, and the easiest cream cheese icing ever (half a block of cream cheese, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a bunch of confectioner's sugar to get it to the proper consistency). Lazy and delicious. That was a while ago, though, because lately my sugar fix has been coming from the Girl Scout Cookies.

Wow. Are you totally impressed with this post or what? I know. The organization and edification astound you. You are welcome.

No comments: