Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baked tofu

Remember this tofu recipe? Probably not, but that's ok. I forgive you.

I really, really like it, and it's fairly easy as-is, but sometimes I like to go an even lazier route. And now I will share that lazier route with you. Bake the tofu instead. It actually takes just as long, but the baking does not require the constant supervision that the stovetop does.

baked tofu

I just press and cube the tofu as usual, whip up some marinade (see below), shake the marinade and tofu together in a lidded container and let it sit for a few minutes, lay the tofu out on a silpat-lined baking sheet (hold on to the remaining marinade!), and bake at 400 for about 35 minutes. I like to bake until my tofu is dark golden and chewy, but you might prefer it a little less done, so check at 25 minutes. Then, because this is the lazy way, I microwave some broccoli or other frozen green and dump it, the baked tofu, the remaining marinade, and maybe a tablespoon or two of sesame seeds onto some cooked rice (or barley or quinoa or whatever is handy). Ta da! Dinner! Not as good as the original recipe, I'll admit. But easier. And still pretty good.

Sesame Ginger Marinade

4 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons grated ginger (fresh or from a jar)
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce

No comments: