Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bran muffins

Yeah, that's right. Bran muffins. I lead an extremely exciting culinary life.

It seems like a lot of people don't like bran muffins, but I don't know why. They are yummy, and I thought so even as a kid. Maybe it's the name? They need to be rebranded...someone should work on that.

This is part of my stock-the-freezer initiative. I think muffins are great snacks to make ahead for freezing, and I hope to get another flavor or two in there before Baby Arrival Time. Freeze them in a gallon freezer bag, pop them out one or two at a time to thaw (or be microwaved) as needed.

muffin time!

In the past, I have made the recipe my grandma always used, and they were good, but I decided to branch out and try the recipe from The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book (this looks like it's the one). Really yummy! It calls for molasses (light molasses, but I had blackstrap on hand and used it) and a ton of yogurt. Oh, and it calls for raisins, but I skipped that because, well, yuck! I know I've said this before, but I love this cookbook. Really and truly. It has so many useful basic recipes, good instructions, helpful tips, and plenty of pictures. It may not be very glam (it and bran muffins have that in common, I guess), but it is definitely one of my most-used cookbooks.

No comments: