Saturday, April 11, 2009

Green cafe apron

After taking forever to finish the shirt and being too busy to sew the last couple weekends, I really felt the need for some instant gratification ths weekend.

green cafe apron

This cafe apron from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing fit the bill perfectly. It came together very quickly, and it looks pretty cute too!

The only change I made to the instructions in the book was the pocket. The book has you cut one pocket, fold all the edges over, and stitch it down. I cut two pockets (one in reverse). Then I sewed them together with right sides facing, leaving the top open to turn it right side out. After turning and pressing, I stitched the top closed. Then I sewed it to the apron. That was not the best explanation, but I think doing it that way made it a lot easier, plus now the inside of the pocket won't have any raggy unraveling edges.

The fabric is all from my stash (though my small collection of fabric is probably too small to properly be refered to as a stash). Which means it will meet the criteria for this month's Tie One On theme, "no $$." I've never submitted something for Tie One On before, but I'm thinking this might be my first!

Simple Sewing was the first sewing book I picked up after I got my machine, but I haven't made very much from it yet. I made the napkins, which we use all the time, as my first project. I tried to make the sun hat, but I got mostly done and realized that it was somehow ending up way too small for my head (maybe my head is abnormaly large?), so that's hiding in a drawer somewhere now. And following that discouraging incident, the book was shelved. But flipping through it this morning I found a few things I'd like to try, so the book and I are friends again. Which is nice.

1 comment:

kaitlyn said...

thanks for the pocket tip! I'll be sure to remember when i make this :)