Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sleeve Plackets

This can probably be filed under Things Everyone Else Has Already Figured Out, but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

Sleeve plackets are not one of my best things. I was recently sewing the sleeve plackets on Adam's shirt. It went better than my only previous experience (see here), because I finally made sense of the instructions. But I still thought they looked a little wierd.

So I thought, "Huh, this looks a little weird. But maybe I'm just crazy. I should look at some of the sleeve plackets on Adam's store-bought shirts." Turns out that I'm not crazy! (Or rather, it turns out that the sleeve placket thing is not a solid piece of evidence in the Sarah-is-crazy case.)

The plackets as my patterns have directed (continuous lap):


The plackets as they are on every single one of the store-bought shirts in our apartment:


The plackets are already done continuous-lap-style on the shirt I'm currently working on, but for next time I think I'll try to make the other style of placket, maybe following this tutorial. The process looks a little complicated, but I much prefer the results of the non-continuous-lap method.

And a brief note regarding last night's dinner: I tried the Garlicky Black-Eyed Peas and Greens from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. First, don't soak your black-eyed peas. You probably already know this, but I did not. The recipe just talked about cooking the peas and didn't mention soaking, so duh, I should have known. But the package! The package in which the peas came said to soak overnight and then cook for a long time, a la regular dried beans. So I soaked them. As a result, my black-eyed peas were an overly-watered, mushy mess. But also, the recipe was pretty bland. We could smell the garlic, but there wasn't much there on the taste front. I mean, it was certainly edible and all, but it was pretty blah.

No comments: