Friday, March 5, 2010

Old-timey cooking fun!

I can't believe it has taken me this long to get around to posting about this. After I posted about cast iron cookware way back when, my parents were awesome enough to get me some of the coveted cast iron loaf pans for Christmas!

homemade bread (dough)

I love these. They make perfect little loaves that pop right out of the pan. But butter that pan first! Do not be fooled by the "pre-seasoning," as that will not do at all. Your bread will stick. Seriously. Butter.

homemade bread (baked)

Also, the loaves are smaller than the loaves from normal loaf pans. I'm not sure by how much, precisely, but definitely smaller. Not tiny, though, not a mini loaf. I think these loaves are the perfect peanut-butter-toast-for-breakfast size. Here is a handy side-by-side comparison of the three loaf pan sizes I've got going on (the slightly large size, the very normal size, and the smaller cast iron size).

loaf pans

And a word about acquiring said pans. My cast iron loaf pans are from Lodge. My much-loved skillets are from Lodge, a company that makes all its non-enameled cast iron cookware in the U.S., so they seemed like the best choice brandwise in the cast iron loaf pan department. But this is where it gets tricky. Because you can't order their loaf pans from amazon.com. You can't even order them from the Lodge website. But you can order them by telephone from a Lodge factory store! Or, at least, from the one in Sevierville, Tennessee, which is the one my mom called.

No comments: